Re: Minimizing backup induced downtime

From: Alexander Skwar <usenet_at_alexander.skwar.name>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 20:59:34 +0200

ยท Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>:
> Alexander Skwar wrote:

>> I'm just curious, why is it, that "you Oracle guys" (I mean you
>> and Sybrand) are always out to attack people (or at least me)
>> without even offering help? Are you really *THAT* frustrated?
>>
>> Alexander Skwar

> Yes.
>
> Because you vent a completely crappy application as
> the truth, "cannot be modified". Of course it can.

No, it cannot. At least not realistically. This would mean to have a complete rewrite of a bought application, to which we do not have the (complete) source.

> Your problem is not with Oracle, not with RMAN, but
> with your "vault", and the initial application design.

Well, yes. I'm not going to argue against that.

> But once more - it's the DBA that must clean up the mess.
>
> No pun intended personally - it's just the way it is.
>

> But, boy - it *is* frustrating at times!
>
> And we are offering help - it is you not seeing it,
> because you already dismissed it - rework the bloody
> app! Store your "vault" in the database - heck, the
> database *is* your vault!

Not possible. The application is the way it is. At least as far as so fundamental things are concerned.

Alexander Skwar

--
Woman was God's second mistake.
                -- Nietzsche