Re: exp and archive available.... recover table

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:34:26 -0000

On Jul 10, 12:02 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Steve Howard wrote:
> >> Let me prove it to you. You come to my lab and I'll set you up on a
> >> server. You use export or datapump to do whatever it is you think it
> >> is doing. I'll send you out of the room for five minutes and use vi
> >> to do a bit of damage. What are you willing to bet that you will be
> >> able to "restore and recover" with your export?
> >> --
> >> Daniel A. Morgan
> >> University of Washington
> >> damor..._at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
> >> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org
>
> > LOL! I don't think I have to fly to Washington to test that. Why
> > don't you fly to Columbus and come to my "lab" (in my basement). You
> > can insert some rows into a table in a standard edition database and
> > then go upstairs and have some homemade cookies with my children.
>
> Because the purpose of BACKUPS, RESTORE and RECOVER is not to reverse
> DML statements. If you think it is you really need to retake DBA 101.
>
> The purpose of a backup is to handle issues such as lost or corrupt
> control files, log files, system datafiles, etc. An export will do
> none of these: Ever. Nor will an export ever be used to perform a
> single block restoration on an open database with connected users.

When did I ever type that I could perform a single block restore with an export?!! Talk about putting words in someone mouth.

I still argue it is semantics. When we have to restore a table (as I originally noted, a small one, and yes, I will use the word "restore" in its American Heritage dictionary sense), it *can be* much quicker than TSPITR or any number of other fantastic options that Oracle provides...it's all about the best solution for the problem, no matter how anal we want to get about terminology. When you need "something" back to the way it was, and and use the output of some "process" done earlier so that you can to get to that point, I would argue that 99% of rational people (no, I did not perform survey to arrive at that guesstimate) would agree that what you have done is use a "backup".

At any rate, I have noted everything I think I guess, so I will let it go.

> BTW: The reason I wanted you to come out here is that I have a 7TB
> SAN. I wanted to watch you export 6.5TB of data <g> and our restaurants
> and weather are better this time of year.
> --

LOL! Columbus actually has some decent restaurants...of course, my wife and I are normally dining with an 11, 10, 7, and 5 year old, so my opinion may not be the most cosmopolitan :)

Regards,

Steve Received on Thu Jul 12 2007 - 08:34:26 CDT