Re: RMAN 9i: Resetting/Clearing name for controlfile backup

From: Alexander Skwar <alexander_at_skwar.name>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 12:33:09 +0200

sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 12, 9:06 am, Alexander Skwar <alexan..._at_skwar.name> wrote:

>> sybrandb <sybra..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> > That said, stop trying to do the impossible, reread the documentation
>>
>> You know the documentation quite well, don't you? I now found out,
>> that I'm able to do
>>
>> SET CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT
>>
>> to set the filename to a name of my liking. Question still remains, why
>> the CONFIGURE command is broken.
>>
>> Anyway. I found out, that I cannot use %s, %t, %p and %c. Could you
>> please tell me where the documentation of Oracle 9i says, that those
>> variables cannot be used?
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Alexander Skwar
>
> Think of it. Using %F in controlfile autobackup format strings is
> mandatory.

I know, and that's perfectly fine.

> So including any other format modifiers is redundant.

Yep.

> As for the configure command being broken. I don't know. In Oracle > 9.2.0.8 for AIX it works.

Fine. I just don't understand, why the configure command does not work. Is it maybe, because the filename is supposed to contain an "illegal" character (which I added by mistake and now don't know how to remove)?

Could you maybe explain to me, what "configure CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK CLEAR;" is supposed to do? As far as I can tell (which might be wrong), it doesn't do what it's supposed to do according to documentation. (See my other posts for this.)

> I don't whether it has been broken, and I'm not going to check.

Thanks.

Alexander Skwar Received on Thu Jul 12 2007 - 05:33:09 CDT