Re: RMAN 9i: Resetting/Clearing name for controlfile backup

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 02:45:45 -0700

On Jul 12, 9:06 am, Alexander Skwar <alexan..._at_skwar.name> wrote:
> sybrandb <sybra..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > That said, stop trying to do the impossible, reread the documentation
>
> You know the documentation quite well, don't you? I now found out,
> that I'm able to do
>
> SET CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT
>
> to set the filename to a name of my liking. Question still remains, why
> the CONFIGURE command is broken.
>
> Anyway. I found out, that I cannot use %s, %t, %p and %c. Could you
> please tell me where the documentation of Oracle 9i says, that those
> variables cannot be used?
>
> TIA,
>
> Alexander Skwar

Think of it. Using %F in controlfile autobackup format strings is mandatory.
Otherwise you would get rman-06492 controlfile autobackup format "string" must specify a "string" format specifier What is in %F? According to the documentation %F will give you: the DBID
the date in YYYYMMDD format
a piece number

You *NEED* the DBID to recover the database when you aren't using a RMAN catalogue AND you LOST your controlfile (which is your RMAN catalogue in that case).
So including any other format modifiers is redundant. The %F modifier generates an unique filename RMAN can use.

As for the configure command being broken. I don't know. In Oracle 9.2.0.8 for AIX it works.
I don't whether it has been broken, and I'm not going to check.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA