Re: exp and archive available.... recover table

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:41:09 -0700

On Jul 11, 12:46 pm, "rogergor..._at_gmail.com" <rogergor..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> You should ideally be able to restore only a single datafile if that's
> what's missing using RMAN, it's much faster than a full restore if the
> DB is multi-GB in size.

So how do you restore just a single table that is a small one of many in the datafile and hasn't had (or you want to get rid of the effects of) transactions since the export? While RMAN may be able to recover blocks and datafiles, in general the granularity is tablespace. So how many tables do you have, and how many of them are in their own tablespace? I tell ya, I do a lot of work where I'm just updating one or a few tables out of thousands, and being able to get those to a known state in a much larger database is one of my main uses for exp/ imp these days. It's a backup and restore with table granularity (or smaller with the query option, used carefully). Not everyone is on 10g yet, flashback is just another feature.

The real important point is that a DBA know when to use what and why. Depending on export for general production backup is undeniably bad. Export and cold backups is obsolete, yet one can justify it at a stretch (I think Alexander is in that situation). Daniel is saying how to do it right, my disagreement is that it is more important to come up with a proper SLA than to overgeneralize to the point where you are saying RMAN is a backup to the exclusion of everything else. The R in RMAN stands for recovery, and that is not the purpose of every backup.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Sometimes it's good to be the "do-nothing."