Re: exp and archive available.... recover table

From: <rogergorden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:59:22 -0700

On Jul 11, 3:46 pm, "rogergor..._at_gmail.com" <rogergor..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 11, 1:49 pm, Alexander Skwar <use..._at_alexander.skwar.name>
> wrote:
>

> > · sybra..._at_hccnet.nl <sybra..._at_hccnet.nl>:
>
> > > Please stop demonstrating your complete incompetency as a DBA.
>
> > > Your boss should show you to the door tomorrow.
>
> > Feeling better now? Yes? Fine, then I'm happy to have helped you.
>
> > Could you now please also be so kind and help me? A follow up to
> > <news:3850368.VQTuRkWvoh_at_m-id.message-center.info> would be very
> > nice.
>
> > Looking forward to hear from you in a helpful way,
>
> > Alexander Skwar
> > --
> > BOFH excuse #223:
> > The lines are all busy (busied out, that is -- why let them in to begin with?).
>
> If you really need help, go to $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/demo/ and look at
> and play with the 4 case*.rcv files.
>
> Practice and work with it until you can properly backup and restore a
> database when you lose a datafile. Really test yourself in all
> scenarios.
>
> You should ideally be able to restore only a single datafile if that's
> what's missing using RMAN, it's much faster than a full restore if the
> DB is multi-GB in size.
>
> This is what I did to become proficient in RMAN. I have written my
> own hot backup scripts in PERL in the past and they were good/
> functional, but when RMAN came out, I discovered it is so much better
> and self-checking.
>
> Also, in 10g, you can auto-compress your backups and RMAN will
> uncompress them on the fly as needed. Fantastic!!!!
>
> Roger Gorden
> Sr, DBA Skila Corp.- Hide quoted text -

It may be bad form to reply to yourself in this NG, but also look at this link which has a wealth of scenarios to work with as well.

http://www.psoug.org/reference/rman_demos.html

Also, I didn't say it, but PIT recovery is also good to be familiar with as well.

Best to be well versed in this and have ample documentation, or some recipe-like documentation on what to do, because these databases tend to crash usually at inconvenient times e.g.

if issleeping($DBA) or onvacation($DBA) then

    database_crash();
else

    database_function_smoothly();
fi

It seems to be set up that way.

Roger Gorden
Sr. DBA Skila Corp. Received on Wed Jul 11 2007 - 14:59:22 CDT