Re: exp and archive available.... recover table

From: <rogergorden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:46:53 -0700

On Jul 11, 1:49 pm, Alexander Skwar <use..._at_alexander.skwar.name> wrote:
> · sybra..._at_hccnet.nl <sybra..._at_hccnet.nl>:
>
> > Please stop demonstrating your complete incompetency as a DBA.
>
> > Your boss should show you to the door tomorrow.
>
> Feeling better now? Yes? Fine, then I'm happy to have helped you.
>
> Could you now please also be so kind and help me? A follow up to
> <news:3850368.VQTuRkWvoh_at_m-id.message-center.info> would be very
> nice.
>
> Looking forward to hear from you in a helpful way,
>
> Alexander Skwar
> --
> BOFH excuse #223:
> The lines are all busy (busied out, that is -- why let them in to begin with?).

If you really need help, go to $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/demo/ and look at and play with the 4 case*.rcv files.

Practice and work with it until you can properly backup and restore a database when you lose a datafile. Really test yourself in all scenarios.

You should ideally be able to restore only a single datafile if that's what's missing using RMAN, it's much faster than a full restore if the DB is multi-GB in size.

This is what I did to become proficient in RMAN. I have written my own hot backup scripts in PERL in the past and they were good/ functional, but when RMAN came out, I discovered it is so much better and self-checking.

Also, in 10g, you can auto-compress your backups and RMAN will uncompress them on the fly as needed. Fantastic!!!!

Roger Gorden
Sr, DBA Skila Corp. Received on Wed Jul 11 2007 - 14:46:53 CDT