Re: exp and archive available.... recover table

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 06:50:24 -0700

Alexander Skwar wrote:
> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:
>

>> Let me prove it to you. You come to my lab and I'll set you up on a
>> server. You use export or datapump to do whatever it is you think it
>> is doing. I'll send you out of the room for five minutes and use vi
>> to do a bit of damage. What are you willing to bet that you will be
>> able to "restore and recover" with your export?

> I don't understand. In the case of a "disaster", I'd create a new
> database and IMPort all the data that is in the EXP dump file.
>
> Alexander Skwar

How many MB is your largest database? The reason I ask is that most Oracle production databases these days are in the TB range. Have you ever exported even 1TB? How long did it take? Where did you store it? How long did it take to import it? And you propose to do this one a day for years? It can not be done.

And which part of this text did you miss?

Restrictions

http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14215/dp_export.htm#i1007504

--
Daniel A. Morgan