Re: exp and archive available.... recover table

From: Alexander Skwar <alexander_at_skwar.name>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 10:59:32 +0200

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:

> The purpose of a backup is to handle issues such as lost or corrupt
> control files, log files, system datafiles, etc. An export will do
> none of these: Ever.

True. I'd of course also backup control files seperately.

> Nor will an export ever be used to perform a
> single block restoration on an open database with connected users.

But what, if you don't need this?

> BTW: The reason I wanted you to come out here is that I have a 7TB
> SAN. I wanted to watch you export 6.5TB of data <g> and our restaurants
> and weather are better this time of year.

It also depends on the size of your databases. If you've got to deal with 7TB, then an EXP is obviously not the tool of choice. But if your database is by far not so large, then an EXP might be doable. For example, an EXP dump for my databases is no larger than 1 GB. That's tiny.

Alexander Skwar Received on Wed Jul 11 2007 - 03:59:32 CDT