Re: Oracle 10g Express jdbc thin driver setString() problem

From: Galen Boyer <galen_boyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 10 Jul 2007 22:55:01 -0500

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, srini.venigalla_at_gmail.com wrote:
> I found this in the README.TXT of the jdbc driver:
>
> Oracle JDBC Drivers release
> 10.1.0.2.0 (10g) README
>

> * If the database character set is AL32UTF8, you may see errors
>
> under the following circumstances:
>
> - accessing LONG and VARCHAR2 datatypes.
>
> - binding data with setString() and setCharacterStream().

That is just one nasty bug. Not being able to trust setString()? Yikes!!!

> My database NLS Charset is AL32UTF8. So, what is the workaround?

You mentioned that you do not care for Unicode? Does that translate into being able to say you have the power to have the character set changed? Then do that.

> I am sure I have used ps.setString before on Oracle 9i. Do I have to

I can think of a workaround, but you'd rather not go there, unless you are ready to hide the hack behind a new implementer of OraclePreparedStatement, committing to instantiating your PreparedStatements with this new class and overriding the setString() method with a hack. See if you can get the character set changed to something else.

--
Galen Boyer