Re: SQL Book Recommendation

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 02:31:12 GMT

"joel garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message news:1184105564.830207.219710_at_a26g2000pre.googlegroups.com... On Jul 9, 7:19 pm, "Bob Jones" <e..._at_me.not> wrote:
> > Guys,
>
> > I'm not a developer or a DBA. I'm a Business Analyst. I need a book
> > that will keep me some concepts that are new to Oracle and lot of
> > syntax/differences between transact sql and pl/sql. I understand
> > databases fairly well for not being a DBA of any sort. I need a book
> > that will teach me how to extract data out of the server by querying
> > it.
>
> Why waste your money on commercial books? The Oracle manual and a test
> database are all you need.

I seriously disagree with this. This is how bad code and habits propagate. Do you really think someone from a transact SQL background, especially someone who isn't primarily a developer, isn't going to see things from that skewed perspective?

Why do you think that will not be the case reading commercial books? Actually, I find the official manuals to be less likely to mislead, more accurate and comprehensive.

Transact SQL ad PL/SQL are very similar in concept. The best place to learn from is the manuals. There is not need to buy any books, especially just for extracting data. Received on Tue Jul 10 2007 - 21:31:12 CDT