Re: Rman & its catolog

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 17:30:55 -0700

On Jul 10, 7:58 pm, "jasonomah..._at_gmail.com" <jasonomah..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have 10g running on 2 hp-ux servers...the first "DB-1" is the prod
> enviroment and "DB-2" is the standby. DB2 has an rmancat DB also and
> on several occasions I fing myself having to clearout the archived
> logs on both.........each night I backup DB2 to both disk and tape and
> have a retention policy of 4 days.I use the following syntex to "clear
> back" the non-needed archive logs:
>
> "delete noprompt archivelog all sysdate-3" [or something like that]
> (don't have the syntex to hand)
>
> Over the past two or three months i've witnessed the following:
>
> I constantly have to connect "/no catalog" and do a croscheck
> followed by a delete expired...I've heard that this may have something
> to do with the rmancat control file "not clearing itself" which to me
> sounds very strange......any ideas? I cound shchedule a script for
> this of course....and I intend to....if I can get an alternative idea
> here i'd be greatful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jay

In rman setups that use a target database and a recovery catalog database it makes more sense to me to connect to both target and catalog and do the crosscheck then resync. ( At some point I think the resync starts jumping in automatically for certain operations but you can always still have it coded ).

Maybe you are doing some of the rman operations with the recovery catalog and others without? Conceivably I guess this may make sense but I think you want to think very carefully about it ... to me when taking the time to setup a recovery catalog datatabase ( much more optional than it used to be ) it should be used consistently. Received on Tue Jul 10 2007 - 19:30:55 CDT