Re: Perspective monitoring method for Linux.

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala.SPAM_ME.NOT_at_verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:20:46 GMT

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 01:45:43 +0000, Dereck L. Dietz wrote:

> Where I work they've installed a new server using a free version of
> Linux despite the fact every other server we have is on Windows 2003.
> From your post I get the impression Linux is harder to monitor than the
> Windows 2003 would be.

I cannot tell. I am a long time Unix guy and the vast majority of Oracle RDBMS instances that I ever operated were on some type of Unix. Few of them, mostly versions 5,6 and 7 were on VAX/VMS. I don't have detailed enough knowledge about Windows tools to be able to answer your question. I can only tell you that monitoring Linux/Unix is significantly harder then monitoring of VAX/VMS ever war was. That's called "progress".

--
http://www.mladen-gogala.com