Re: Sessions using TEMP and sharing extents

From: stephen O'D <stephen.odonnell_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 05:09:39 -0700

> Under create tablespace temp temporary and create temporary tablespace
> temp the single sort segment per node is shared but extents allocated
> within the segment are used by one session at a time. Under
> traditional dictionary management each session allocates its own
> private extents.

Does this mean that with a locally managed Temp tablespace there is effectively a bunch of extents grouped into a single segment that is used for sorting by all sessions on the database, but with dictionary managed each session just grabs an extent as it needs it. Either way, 10 sessions sorting at the same time needs 10 extents.

I am guessing that when a session needs a temp extent to hold LOB data it will just grab one from temp in either locally managed or dictionary managed.

I checked DBA_Tablespaces again, and in the contents column, oracle reports 'Temporary' so it knows its a temp tablespace - does this not mean its a true temp tablespace? From reading Kyte's Expert Oracle, temp is supposed to be NOLOGGING, but on our system its reported as LOGGING - this doesn't sound correct does it? Received on Tue Jul 10 2007 - 07:09:39 CDT