Re: exp and archive available.... recover table

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 07:24:56 -0700

On Jul 9, 9:05 am, Alexander Skwar <alexan..._at_skwar.name> wrote:
> fitzjarr..._at_cox.net <fitzjarr..._at_cox.net> wrote:
> > An export is a logical copy of the object or objects exported at the
> > time the object copy began. It is not a backup, even in the loosest
> > sense of the word.
>
> What makes this a "non backup"? You can use an EXP dump to recover
> all the data, can't you? You'll of course just need to create an
> "empty" database before you can run IMP.
>
> Alexander Skwar

The inability to recover from a corrupt or lost/deleted data file. An export simply cannot recover tablespaces or datafiles, only objects within them, and only from the point in time when the object copy began. Having to create a new database to restore data from an .dmp file proves that exp is not a backup.

Of course you're welcome to prove me wrong.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon Jul 09 2007 - 09:24:56 CDT