Re: Crash/instance recovery

From: IM <ian_at_ianmurphy.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 14:13:29 -0700

On Jul 7, 6:53 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> astalavista wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > What is the difference between crash recovery and instance recovery ?
>
> > Thanks for your lights ...
>
> You can not recover an instance ... an instance is processes in memory.
>
> You mean database recovery and they may or may not be the same in that
> there are more reasons to recover a database than just following a crash.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington

Er, it's my understanding that "instance recovery" is exactly what Oracle does following a SHUTDOWN ABORT or a STARTUP FORCE... simply a recovery that does not need any DBA intervention (aside from a STARTUP in the case of a SHUTDOWN ABORT).

N'est pas?

Regards,

Ian Received on Sat Jul 07 2007 - 16:13:29 CDT