Re: SQL Book Recommendation

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 07:43:59 -0700

sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 15:52:07 -0700, hpuxrac
> <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>> What a freaking surprising reply.

> Please stop attacking Daniel Morgan.
> If you continue to attack Daniel Morgan, please be so courageous to
> attack Jonathan Lewis as well, who is promoting his own website *and*
> his book *in his sig*, *just like* Daniel Morgan does.
> Obviously, Daniel Morgan doesn't gain anything from his website, and
> Jonathan Lewis does.
> Either you are directing your arrows at the wrong person, or you are
> just an arrogant hypocrite (choose all that apply).

Just for the record ... there is nothing wrong with what Jonathan does or most people in their sigs as they are responding to a legitimately posted question and trying to help the person involved. If someone from Ford Motor Company posts and their sig looks like this:

Richard Allen
Ford Motor Company

That does not mean they are trying to increase car sales.

What is objectionable is posts whose sole or primary purpose is to promote a product, service, or website. Not once has Jonathan posted something primarily intended to increase book sales, nor have I ever posted a PSOUG event such as OracleDay or a RAC class anywhere except in .marketplace nor is Tom Kyte, in referencing asktom, posting with the intention of increasing traffic so pop-up ads will make him rich.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington