Re: SQL Book Recommendation

From: batso <batsonmr_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 14:48:43 -0700

On Jul 6, 5:16 pm, "Martin T." <bilbothebagginsb..._at_freenet.de> wrote:
> On Jul 5, 9:30 pm, J <jdfer..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi Everyone,
>
> > I've done some searching on the forum/group here and I'm having a hard
> > time trying to find a book that suits my needs. I'm looking for a
> > book that I can use/reference to find how to use all of the various
> > SQL commands in Oracle. I've had prior experience in Transact-SQL in
> > my last job writing against a MS SQL Server. The book that I found
> > and love is "The Guru's Guide to Transact-SQL" by Ken Henderson. This
> > book, IMHO, is the best, definite guide on how to query a database.
>
> > Link here:http://www.amazon.com/Gurus-Guide-Transact-SQL-Ken-Henderson/dp/02016...
>
> > I'm trying to find this same book for Oracle, but I'm not sure if one
> > exists. What I'm not looking for is a book that teaches you the
> > administrative side of an Oracle server/db, database tuning, etc. I'm
> > looking for a book that teaches all of the SQL commands (select,
> > insert, pivot tables, subquerying, etc), how they work, and what the
> > syntax is.
>
> > Is there anything out there that has this?
>
> I think Steven Feuerstein's book is pretty good when it comes to
> teaching PL/SQL. ("Oracle PL/SQL programming")
>
> I started (and frankly can't really remember in which order) with this
> one, the Oracle concepts manual and Tom Kyte's book "Expert
> Oracle Database Architecture".
>
> As for syntax ... as often as I get lost in them - the Oracle manuals
> do a pretty good job of explaining the syntax for SQL. For PL/SQL see
> book above.
>
> br,
> Martin- Hide quoted text -

the cookbook is just sql. not pl/sql. sorry i did not equate pl/sql with transact sql. i don't know MS transact sql from a hole in the ground. and no doubt learning concepts first is best. i have read all good things about the books listed above. just haven't read them myself. i like's tom's blog. Received on Fri Jul 06 2007 - 16:48:43 CDT