Re: command line vs grid control

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 13:38:00 -0700

hpuxrac wrote:

> On Jul 6, 3:24 pm, "GD" <> wrote:

>> <> wrote in message
>>> two words
>>> hardcoded passwords.
>>> At one of those users has SYSDBA privilege by design
>>> Why would you continue to use a 'backup tool' which isn't integrated
>>> with Oracle at all, which does generate *more* redo during backup,
>>> which doesn't automate your backup and which doesn't automate your
>>> restore/ recovery?
>>> Rman has been around since 1998. People who still don't know about it
>>> need either to be trained or shown to the door of unemployment.
>> I almost completely agree with you, except that there are companies that use
>> storage mirroring and don't need to use rman.
>> If you use storage vendor replication/mirror/clone features (which are
>> supported both by Oracle and your favorite storage vendor), you probably
>> have to use some kind of shell scripting (or whatever automation) to do the
>> backup job.
>> Even if you use rman, I really don't quite understand why "anyone using
>> shell/perl scripts to perform a backup should be trained or terminated". Is
>> it bad practice to use rman from within a shell script?
>> Regards
> Neither of these guys you are posting or replying do appear to have
> much relevant knowledge of EMC based systems.
> There's nothing wrong with doing very fast storage based backups if
> you know exactly what you are doing.

Actually at least one of us has substantial knowledge of EMC. And what you are referring to is not a backup.

Lets say two years from now your employer finds itself in court and you, as DBA, are hauled into court under subpoena and required to produce the backups from 7 July 2005. You are planning to do that how?

Same goes for any of the other storage vendors. And if you think two years is not a problem you might want to check into something called the statute of limitations and how it affects companies doing business in multiple countries.

Intel just spent well into 7 figures settling a legal action because they couldn't produce the tape. Your employer might not be amused by the IT team taking shortcuts.

Daniel A. Morgan
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group