Re: command line vs grid control

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 13:32:49 -0700

GD wrote:

> I almost completely agree with you, except that there are companies that use
> storage mirroring and don't need to use rman.

Sorry but nonsense. Storage mirroring is totally incapable of doing what RMAN does.

Lets say you have a tablespace that contains a single bad 8K block.

Storage mirroring is 100% worthless unless your SLA allows downtime.

It should be noted that in many legal jurisdictions backing up to an off-site facility is not just nice ... it is the law.

> If you use storage vendor replication/mirror/clone features (which are
> supported both by Oracle and your favorite storage vendor), you probably
> have to use some kind of shell scripting (or whatever automation) to do the
> backup job.

And probably backing up unchanged blocks and probably generating huge amounts of REDO and are 100% incapable of single block restore.

> Even if you use rman, I really don't quite understand why "anyone using
> shell/perl scripts to perform a backup should be trained or terminated". Is
> it bad practice to use rman from within a shell script?

You are mixing things up. There's nothing necessarily wrong with using RMAN run by a shell script. I just think it archaic and unnecessary. Not using RMAN, itself, is quite another matter.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington