within grid control, is sql plan correct?

From: Ben <balvey_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 08:28:56 -0700

Ent Ed 10.2.0.2 on AIX5L
Grid Control 10.2

Just upgraded to 10.2.0.2 and started using OEM Grid Control. Trying to work through the headaches of learning the new OEM Grid Control.

When you look at a SQL ID and the related activity and plan, is the plan correct if using a bind variable? I have a query that the only predicate is on a NUMBER column using a bind variable. The column is indexed but yet the plan shows a full scan. Does the plan always assume the bind variable is a character type and thus display the wrong path? I mention this because of bug (or not really bug) # 5946782 on metalink. Looking at the Top Activity during the time frame for the execution, there is a spike in User I/O that corresponds to the statement.

It seems to me that the SQL advisor wouldn't work correctly if that is the case.

I have also had a couple of instances where I have a query that doesn't use a index and should. I run the Sql Tuning Advisor and it creates a profile to use. I tell it to implement the profile, but it appears that the future runs of that query are not using the new profile. Received on Fri Jul 06 2007 - 10:28:56 CDT