Re: command line vs grid control

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 07:01:22 -0700

GD wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:

>> ivl5_at_hotmail.com wrote:
>>

>>  From my standpoint that is the case. Just as I would say that anyone
>> using shell/perl scripts to perform a backup should be trained or
>> terminated.

> What about those who don't use rman? Some people use storage features
> (Business Copy, TimeFinder or whatever) to perform backup.
> Should they be terminated or trained?

First you try training. Then you terminate them: Yes.

You can use those tools to backup non-Oracle resources. But if they are being used to backup an Oracle database then you are wasting time, money, and putting your organization and its data at risk.

http://tahiti.oracle.com

> Don't you use some kind of shell for that purpose?

No need to but that isn't relevant to whether RMAN is or is not used.

Take the tool of your choice and see whether you can:

Use block change tracking
Perform block media recovery

The answer in both cases is no.

--