Oracle FAQ Your Portal to the Oracle Knowledge Grid

Home -> Community -> Usenet -> c.d.o.server -> Re: command line vs grid control

Re: command line vs grid control

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 23:23:24 -0700
Message-ID: <> wrote:
> On Jul 5, 11:43 pm, DA Morgan <> wrote:

>> wrote:
>>> On Jul 5, 12:08 am, DA Morgan <> wrote:
>>>> Waking up all night long and sniffing the air might be considered by
>>>> some less expensive than buying a smoke alarm.
>>>> I understand your point but to me it is the point of a dinosaur.
>>> Well, your advice is to throw out all the scripts and get on to grid
>>> control.
>>> My advice is, if you have money (and the size of your environment
>>> warrants this), get grid control; otherwise use database control plus
>>> scripts. If your scripts cover your requirements, nothing's wrong with
>>> keeping them. I think my position is more balanced and practical so
>>> I'll stick to it.
>> Given that it isn't your money and it isn't your data ... it belongs to
>> your employer ... I would bet that if the C-Level management of your
>> organization understood the difference between:
>> * The quality of monitoring: Oracle wins
>> * The fact that their code is tested: Oracle wins
>> * The fact that with their code can call support: Oracle wins
>> * The fact that the Grid is documented: Oracle wins
>> * The fact that others can be hired that already know it: Oracle wins
>> They would disagree with your assessment. What you have going for you
>> is that they'll never get that presentation ... at least not from you.

> Certainly not from me. Given that we use grid control (which suits our
> environment), such presentation would be unnecessary.
> Funny how sometimes people pretend to have a conversation but hear
> just themselves. You're mostly reasonable guy so I'll make a final
> attempt: please read again, nobody's saying no to OEM. As for the
> scripts, let's make a deal. You won't write a single line for
> monitoring any more and I'll keep mine working where it is
> appropriate.

I heard you. And what I'm saying is that I believe your scripts are unreasonable in any environment. That there is no justification in 2007 with 10g to be using shell scripts for monitoring.

They are untested.
They are unsupported.
And they don't do as good a job.

You may choose to disagree. That is your right. But more and more employers are refusing to hire people who think as you do.

>> One of the world's largest cellular phone companies has already notified me that
>> they will no longer hire anyone that knows Oracle 8.0 or earlier as
>> they are tired of trying to break their bad habits: This being one of them.

> So you are in recruitment business then?

No. I sometimes am asked to do final technical interviews for key hires. For example, a six months after 11g is released some organizations will want to hire people with 11g experience their team doesn't have. If their team doesn't know 11g they won't be able to evaluate if a prospect really knows it or is just bluffing. That is where I sometimes come in as by then I will have more than a year of hands-on with it.

When I perform this function they clearly tell me, up front, what they will and will not accept. This particular multinational would not accept you if you said in an interview what you've said here.

Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington (replace x with u to respond)
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
Received on Fri Jul 06 2007 - 01:23:24 CDT

Original text of this message