Re: command line vs grid control

From: <ivl5_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 17:23:51 -0700

On Jul 5, 10:57 pm, sybrandb <sybra..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 5, 11:53 am, i..._at_hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > My advice is, if you have money (and the size of your environment
> > warrants this), get grid control; otherwise use database control plus
> > scripts. If your scripts cover your requirements, nothing's wrong with
> > keeping them. I think my position is more balanced and practical so
> > I'll stick to it.
>
> > Also you may want to re-read hpuxrac's reply; it's a good one.
>
> Sooner or later Oracle is going to implement monitoring functionality
> in their controls only.
> We have seen this with vendors over and over again. The obvious reason
> for this is they want you to use their product.
> I haven't so far seen any 'tool', deserving that name, implementing
> more than 10 percent of the functionality with OEM.
> Obviously you want to remain in the dark, and because of this your
> customers and developers will also remain in the dark. You are
> actually doing a disservice to them.
> Qualifying this as a 'balanced' position sounds very strange, and
> suggest you are using the proverbial 'garage' approach to
> administration. To maintain your 'balanced' position you would need to
> instruct your customers NOT to upgrade. Because if they upgrade you
> will be probably out of business.
> As many customers don't have any clue about Oracle's functionality and
> what it can do for them, this probably isn't going to be a difficult
> task. But what if they *have* to upgrade, because with the new
> hardware they get a new version of the OS, for which your historical
> versions of Oracle aren't certified at all?

Relax mate, you'll spend all your fire on on me and won't have any left to prescript Tahiti trips to the local population :) You are what, deaf, blind, can't read or all together? I made it easy for you, left just four sentences to read. It's right there at the beginning of this reply. Can you see there "do not use OEM"? If so, you better get some help.

> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Regards,
Igor Received on Thu Jul 05 2007 - 19:23:51 CDT