Re: Backup flashback logs to tape

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 11:11:23 -0700

zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> On Jul 5, 1:36 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:

>> zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
>>> Also regarding 2 (there is no need to backup), I pointed out a hole in
>>> design what happens if disk carshes (where flashback logs are
>>> stotred) or some flashback logs are accidently deleted, one may then
>>> have to rest flashback database by turing it off and on and lossing
>>> all falshback logs.
>> Database crashing and the location of flashback logs is irrelevant. One
>> has no bearing on the other.
>>
>> If someone can accidentally delete anything then you have a security
>> problem you need to deal with. Oracle technology may be "unbreakable"
>> but it is not immune to the actions of stupid people doing stupid things.
>>
>> An equivalent question would be what to do if someone walks into the
>> server room, logs on as root and types:
>> cd /
>> rm -rf *
>>
>> If your processes are so poor that these questions are important to
>> you I'd suggest hiring a competent employee or consultant to help you
>> with basic procedures.
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damor..._at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org
> One cannot leave things to chance that they won't happen. It is
> considered very poor planning at least the place I work.
> I definitely consider this a hole in the design (I will not write my
> SLA's under the assumtion that it will
> never happen); however, chances of disk crashing and accidental
> deletion of logs are small at least
> in my production environment, so flashback database is defintley a
> good feature which oracle has provided.
>
> It is not a question of hiring a competent employee or consultnat, you
> should be aware that work environment is not same every place.
> Different industries have different requirements

Great. So what are you going to write in your procedure if someone goes in with vi and corrupts your backups after they've been taken? What are you going to write in your procedure if someone does rm -rf?

You've taken a minor matter and elevated it the level of Olympus Mons.

Backing up flashback logs is irrelevant. Get over it. <g>

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington