Re: Backup flashback logs to tape

From: <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 11:02:32 -0700

On Jul 5, 1:36 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> > Also regarding 2 (there is no need to backup), I pointed out a hole in
> > design what happens if disk carshes (where flashback logs are
> > stotred) or some flashback logs are accidently deleted, one may then
> > have to rest flashback database by turing it off and on and lossing
> > all falshback logs.
>
> Database crashing and the location of flashback logs is irrelevant. One
> has no bearing on the other.
>
> If someone can accidentally delete anything then you have a security
> problem you need to deal with. Oracle technology may be "unbreakable"
> but it is not immune to the actions of stupid people doing stupid things.
>
> An equivalent question would be what to do if someone walks into the
> server room, logs on as root and types:
> cd /
> rm -rf *
>
> If your processes are so poor that these questions are important to
> you I'd suggest hiring a competent employee or consultant to help you
> with basic procedures.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
One cannot leave things to chance that they won't happen. It is considered very poor planning at least the place I work. I definitely consider this a hole in the design (I will not write my SLA's under the assumtion that it will
never happen); however, chances of disk crashing and accidental deletion of logs are small at least
in my production environment, so flashback database is defintley a good feature which oracle has provided.

It is not a question of hiring a competent employee or consultnat, you should be aware that work environment is not same every place. Different industries have different requirements Received on Thu Jul 05 2007 - 13:02:32 CDT