Re: Backup flashback logs to tape

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 10:32:57 -0700

zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> On Jul 5, 9:36 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:

>> Ganesh wrote:
>>> I am very sorry my thread started all this mud sledging. I have
>>> started working on ORACLE just a couple of months ago. No document
>>> provided answers to my questions and hence I posted them here. If
>>> someone claims any document has answerws to these questions, please
>>> provide me the link.
>>> But the positives I have got from my investigation and this
>>> discussion:
>>> 1. Flashback logs are more of a nice to have feature and its okay if
>>> we don't back them up as they are not required for recovery.
>> You sure didn't get that from me. I consider Flashback logs 100%
>> required for production databases.
>>
>> What I've seen in this thread is a remarkable lack of understanding
>> of how and when to use Flashback Database and Restore Point technology:
>> They are absolutely brilliant.
>>
>> Think of Flashback Database as a fire extinguisher. It may sit there
>> for years not being used but its value is that it is there if you need
>> it. Here's an example of where/how to use Flashback Database.
>>
>> You receive from your application vendor a script that modifies the
>> application's database layer or you have been tasked with performing
>> an upgrade of an internally developed application.
>>
>> Step 1: Create a Guaranteed Restore Point
>> Step 2: Perform the upgrade
>> Step 3: Test
>> Step 4: If anything failed Flashback Database
>>
>> The difference in space and time required to do a Level 0 backup at
>> Step one versus using Flashback is immense. At Step 4, again, Flashback
>> is superior in every respect.
>>
>>> 2. There is no command / workaround ORACLE provides for backing up
>>> Flashback logs to TAPE.
>> As there is no need to back them up ... no.
>>
>>> 3. Given this if you still want to backup Flashback Logs its going to
>>> be a very tricky operation.
>> Only if you use ASM and only if you are incapable of using the
>> technology Oracle has provided to copy them to somewhere that can be
>> backed up onto tape.
>>
>> So I'd say you've got it 99% incorrect.
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damor..._at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org
>
> Can you elabrarate on 3 because Metalink support never pointed that
> out. to me
>  when I asked them about backing up flashback logs.

#3 has nothing to do with metalink or Oracle. It has to do with testing your application and reviewing log files to make sure an upgrade was successful before opening the database for end-user access.

If you do not understand the need for validation and testing then you really should not be touching Oracle at any level other than end-user.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington