Rman logfile restore and catalog behaviour

From: Neil Cudd <neil.cudd_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 05:52:49 -0700

Hi there,

this could get confusing so bare with me : AIX 5.3 Oracle 9.2.0.7

It's been decided to move the datacentre half way around the world with minimal downtime.
We are backing up using RMAN to a datacentre in this hemishpere.

So the backup tapes were exported and sent to far away to be imported to the tape server on the remote site (too big to be sent down the wan).

The database is restored at the far side and put in recovery mode, rolling forward, catching up on the logfiles until the cutover date when the local DB server is shutdown - 30 days time.

So I am restoring archivelogs - via rman - from 5 days ago to send down the wire to be applied to remote copy.

However, our daily archive log rman job is now complaining that it cannot find log sequence #### - this being the first of the old archive logs that I restored localy to send down the wire. (I restored then deleted - not wanting to crowd the archive log area.

What am I doing wrong ? (no asides on startegy - I didn't decide it, just left to apply it).

Many thanks for any help.
Neil Received on Thu Jul 05 2007 - 07:52:49 CDT