Re: command line vs grid control

From: <ivl5_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 02:53:27 -0700

On Jul 5, 12:08 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:

> Waking up all night long and sniffing the air might be considered by
> some less expensive than buying a smoke alarm.
>
> I understand your point but to me it is the point of a dinosaur.

Well, your advice is to throw out all the scripts and get on to grid control.

My advice is, if you have money (and the size of your environment warrants this), get grid control; otherwise use database control plus scripts. If your scripts cover your requirements, nothing's wrong with keeping them. I think my position is more balanced and practical so I'll stick to it.

Also you may want to re-read hpuxrac's reply; it's a good one.

> Your scripts are not version aware and will require rewrites with every
> upgrade. Your scripts are far less capable than the grid. Your scripts
> are incapable of real-time monitoring. Your scripts have no metadata
> repository with which to compare previous results. And if you are like
> 99% of all DBAs I know you will not submit your scripts to testing in
> an independent test environment to make sure they are sound. You will
> just throw them over the cubicle wall onto the production server and
> assume they work because you wrote them.

That's a lot of assumptions :) Accidentally all are wrong for 99% of sites I worked on.

> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington

Regards,
Igor Received on Thu Jul 05 2007 - 04:53:27 CDT