Re: Career questions: databases

From: Bruce C. Baker <bcb_at_undisclosedlocation.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 13:20:34 -0500

"Cimode" <cimode_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1183485424.196197.117760_at_o61g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...
> On 3 juil, 19:29, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
>> Marshall wrote:

>> > I see. So it is your contention then, that if I had a table of people
>> > and their associated ability, rated according to your six point
>> > scale above, and I wanted to know which these was the most
>> > common, that I would use avg() to find out? Or is it perhaps
>> > the case that "average" can mean different things, like,
>> > say, "proficient" does?

>> > It is amazing to me that someone who touts his association
>> > with a university in every post appears to believe that
>> > product training is the overarching technical accomplishment
>> > that one might aspire to. Indeed, you don't even seem to
>> > acknowledge the existence of any other kind of achievement.
>> > Are we to assume that your role at the University of
>> > Washington is that you are their DBA? Or should we
>> > instead assume that a degree from the University of
>> > Washington is designed to maximize one's investment
>> > in Oracle products?
>>
>> > Shall you now challenge me to stand at a podium
>> > and recite trivia? Can I choose my own area of
>> > trivia, because I would prefer movies over Oracle
>> > 10g, since I enjoy the former and have no interest
>> > in the latter. Certainly if I can tell you who starred
>> > in this movie or that, or can recite backstage
>> > anecdotes or quotes from interviews, it means
>> > I have a tremendous aesthetic sense, right?
>> > For what else is there in life but the memorization
>> > of large numbers of accidental consequences
>> > of man-made artifacts? Doctors, mathematicians,
>> > scientists, etc., what good are they? The lawyer
>> > is the only one who is truly proficient in understanding
>> > the natural world.
>>
>> > Marshall
>>
>> It is my contention that words have meaning and that one
>> can discern that meaning by looking into a book called a
>> dictionary.
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damor..._at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org
>
> Looking at the entire sum of your posts, I neither understand the
> points you are trying to make nor I qualify them as relevant to
> database theory. It is safe to say that you have not posted so far
> anything of inherent value that can not be found on an ORACLE
> brochure.
>
> In other words, all you have established so far to Marshall and
> several others here is a biased product driven perception of science.
> I am curious as to what you are trying to achieve in doing that ?

Since it was originally my post that caused DA Morgan to offer his scale of DBA abilities, let me come to his defense here (not that he really needs my assistance): I suspect his mention of RMAN is a consequence of his posting from within c.d.o.s, and not from any belief on his part that only Oracle DBAs are "real DBAs" or that Oracle encompasses the totality of database knowledge.

Take a step back, folks, and consider the context. Received on Tue Jul 03 2007 - 13:20:34 CDT