Re: IMP-00009: abnormal end of export file

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 3 Jul 2007 10:18:40 -0700

On Jul 2, 3:11 pm, "dpmartin..._at_gmail.com" <dpmartin..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks to both you and NetComrade for replying
>
> Export environment not under my control, was done elsewhere and placed
> where I could copy it local. Not sure of the platform or environment,
> but it was Oracle 9i, possibly a Windows 2003 server, not sure if
> tables were clustered, compressed, or anything like that but I suspect
> not, it is a development/test db, not very large. Yes, there are some
> longs.

Could be a buggy version.

> I am using Oracle 9 client tools on Windows XP or Windows 2003 Server
> platforms.

You need to say the exact version like 9.2.0.1. Copy and paste the banner when you start the tool up.

How exactly did you copy it? ftp? Common error is to not use binary mode.

> Exact error message: IMP-00009: abnormal end of export file
>
> Not likely to be full disk or anything like that, plenty of space. I
> myself was the only one using the .dmp file, so unlikely also to be
> multiple sessions using the same file. Except that at one point
> during the day my workstation did lock up for completely unknown
> reasons requiring a cold boot. I am pretty sure that this did NOT
> happen during an import attempt.

You really never have multiple sessions open?

> Commands used were the standard EXP with necessary switches, i.e.
> something like
>
> EXP [credentials] OWNER=[ownername] FILE=[file].dmp GRANTS=y ROWS=y
>
> and import, i.e. something like
>
> IMP [credentials] FROMUSER=[oldusername] TOUSER=[newusername]
> FILE=[file].dmp ROWS=Y
>
> I would normally expect that an import process open a dump file as
> read only in order to process the information, and this is what I
> expected Oracle was doing. However, I now suspect that for some
> reason or another, it must also open the file with write privileges,
> which puts the export file at risk.

I don't really know about this. I've never seen imp shorten a dumpfile, though if you made the log file name exactly the same as the dump file name, you might have some interesting results.

> I suppose there must be some valid reason for this, but I must say I'm
> glad I ran into this in a development environment rather than a
> production one! (Note to self: always, always keep a compressed
> backup of the original .dmp file. Just in case.)
>
> It should be noted that several successful imports were already done
> from this same exact file over a period of several days until suddenly
> this error was encountered and the dmp file size shrank to about 1/3
> of it's original size.

That sounds like user error on device, like accidentally invoking exp instead of imp...

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Which way do you rotate?