Re: command line vs grid control

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 07:11:51 -0700

ivl5_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> On Jul 3, 1:45 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:

>> Bob Jones wrote:
>>> "DA Morgan" <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote in message
>>> What is the change in 9.2.0.8 makes it impossible?

>> I said "more recent than" and the list is nearly endless which
>> is precisely the point. You couldn't write all the scripts
>> required to duplicate the functionality of the OEM grid control
>> if you worked on it 40 hours a week for the next 6 months. In
>
> No need to duplicate everything. OP talks "monitor my database,
> routine work". This can continue to be done with his existing scripts.
> "You can not monitor a database using shell/perl scripts any longer"
> for 10g+ looks like an overstatement.
>

>> fact some of that functionality is literally impossible to
>> duplicate with any shell script.
>
> And what this functionality is exactly?
>
> Regards,
> Igor
>

>> The original question was "should I invest in" and the answer is
>> yes.
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damor..._at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org

One simple example: You can not do this.

SELECT TO_CHAR(s.startup_time,' DD MON "at" HH24:MI:SS') INSTART_FMT, di.instance_name INST_NAME, di.db_name DB_NAME, s.snap_id SNAP_ID, TO_CHAR(s.end_interval_time,'DD MON YYYY HH24:MI') SNAPDAT, s.snap_level LVL
FROM dba_hist_snapshot s, dba_hist_database_instance di WHERE di.dbid = s.dbid
AND di.instance_number = s.instance_number AND di.startup_time = s.startup_time
ORDER BY snap_id;

Well of course you can. But to do so you would need to buy the license to do so in the Grid Control. So you've already spent the money.

Take a look at the list of features monitored here: http://www.psoug.org/reference/dbms_serv_alert.html To do this with a shell script would require that you again buy the appropriate Grid Control license.

More developers were used to build the 10g Grid Control than to build the 10g database. How far do you think you are going to get duplicating that with a shell script unless you violate your employer's license agreement.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington