Re: Career questions: databases

From: Neil <nospam_at_nospam.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 18:17:10 -0500

"dreamznatcher" <tashfeenmahmud_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1183416684.619916.14810_at_o11g2000prd.googlegroups.com...
> On Jul 3, 3:44 am, "Neil" <nos..._at_nospam.net> wrote:
>> Two points.
>>
>> One, we're not living in Shakespeare's day anymore, so get over it.
>
> You obviously have no idea of the impact Shakespeare has had on the
> English language, and the many idioms and phrases and metaphors which
> he created that are still commonly being used today, by American
> English speakers and British English speakers alike, and just about by
> any anyone on any part of the globe speaking English.

Believe it or not, I do. What you don't seem to realize is that my comment was a joke. Did you notice the poor grammar in my note? It was intended to be tongue-in-cheek.

>> And two, Brits don't know nothing. If they did, then they wouldn't have
>> lost
>> their world empire, and wouldn't have needed us to bail them out in WWII.
>
> Let's take that discussion further.
> Wherever the white man goes, everything is left is ruins. Starting
> from the colonial times and following to the present day, consider
> reading the histories of the Indian subcontinent, South America,
> Africa, the Middle East, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, with perhaps Iran
> and Venezuela to follow. And let's not even talk about the Red
> Indians.

Wherever *man* goes everything is left in ruins. Consider the corruption and genocide occuring on the African continent. No white man to blame there. White people have just been in the forefront, they've been the ones with the power, so history shows their destructive trail. Had black people or yellow people or red people or (gasp) Bangladeshian people been the ones with the most power over the past few hundred years, history would have been more or less the same. Mankind is corrupt, and those in power are the most corrupt.

> But does all that even make any sense now? History has had its course.
> I wasn't born in times when my country was under colonial rule. The
> effects are still there, but since it doesn't belong to my lifespan-
> radius, I can't really complain, and neither can you brag or bark. Get
> frank. Not nice to be rude to people in that fashion.

Well, I think Gunny got my humor. If he's a Brit, then they're known for their dry humor.

>> So, since, if it weren't for us, you'd be speaking German anyway, I
>> suggest
>> you learn proper American English, and learn how to talk good. That's
>> what I
>> say!
>
> Okay Neil, let's play your game!
> Okay, this is American English going, one-two-three! Here we are at
> Madison Square Garden waiting anxiously to see who wins in the fight
> against Iraq. The nasty Iraqis are extremely sleek, though they may be
> poor and underequipped. They're so ugly, we bombed their children and
> splattered cluster bombs all over the place but they still survive.
> Hang on, the ugly Philistines are there at the corner, they're trying
> to get at Uncle Bob but Uncle Bob now has a steel chair and wham! A
> shot to the back of the head. One more Iraqi terrorist down who just
> shot down a chopper with a shotgun. Hang on... hang on right there....
> now there's Fidel Castro in the corner! That slimy bastard! Why can't
> you just die you bastard, die, die, die?... Wait! Tony Blair! Tony
> Blair emerges from the audience! Blair has a chair! Blair has a chair!

Wow, you sound like you need to take your medication or something.........

> Didn't sound pretty, did it?
> Now let's be more sensible. I'm not trying to imply that what's going
> on around the world is right or justified. Nor am I saying the war in
> Iraq or the crisis in the Middle East or the tension between the US
> and Cuba are things I support or advertise. Yours is a great nation
> but it's not without its history of errors and plights. It's the same
> with every nation. But you belong to your nation, and I belong to
> mine, and all I'm saying is, therefore it's not nice to say stuff in
> that manner.

All I said was that we saved their asses in World War II, so they owe it to us to speak English the proper way -- the American way! -- and not in some outdated British way. Who said anything about Iraq and whatnot??......

Get over yourself, man!

Neil