Re: Career questions: databases

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 19:41:51 -0300

dreamznatcher wrote:

> On Jul 2, 11:32 pm, "Neil" <nos..._at_nospam.net> wrote:
>

>>I think you're taking it all wrong (and making too much of yourself, to be
>>honest with you). DA Morgan gave you some advice based on his experience,
>>with the intent of helping you.

> Mate, all throughout this thread I have been repeating that I at most
> have intermediate skills compared to guys like Morgan. If that holds,
> how could I have ever made too much of myself? I don't think you're
> making sense here.
>
> I think the point was that some felt that you were full of cow
> excrement
> for putting those things on your resume.
>

>>He was trying to give
>>you some friendly advice to help you be successful with your resume.

> Sure he was, but then again somebody once said, "I think the point was
> that some felt that you were full of cow excrement for putting those
> things on your resume".. I wonder who he was referring to.
>
>>No one here really cares if you're proficient or not. We don't think you're
>>an "upstart." You're just a guy posting in a newsgroup. No one is threatened
>>by you.

> You're making me laugh here. How could you even bring up the
> "threatening" part? Info: one can't obviously appear aggressive or
> threatening if he's humbly saying over and over again that he's at
> best a mediocre in your trade.
>
>>This whole discussion was not about you at all. It was about what is
>>or isn't proficiency, in general, not about whether or not you're
>>proficient. No one really cares if you're proficient. It doesn't affect us
>>at all.

> Alas, that is how things become. I started the thread to get some
> questions answered and look at the truckpile of Shit (thanks Bob!)

You are quite welcome. However, instead of thanking me for arousing the egos of charlatans, snake oil salesmen, most vociferous persons, general incompetents, trolls, cranks, and various and sundry other self-aggrandizing ignorants, I suggest you go back and read my initial reply.

Conceptual analysis is a communication task--not simply drawing pretty pictures. The idea that one can complete that task in an hour or two is absurd. You have deluded yourself, and delusion disqualifies one from any field requiring intellectual honesty.

Data management requires intellectual honesty above all else.

If you want to have a productive career in data management, go back and learn the fundamentals. Received on Mon Jul 02 2007 - 17:41:51 CDT