Re: 2GB limit of memory for Oracle on WIndows 32 bit

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 14:16:08 -0700

On Jul 1, 4:53 pm, zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> On Jul 1, 5:04 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
>

> > On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 09:37:23 -0700, zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> > >FYI, keep and recycle pools work exactly the same way. keep and
> > >recycle are just the names given by Oracle. Vendor sells the
> > >application, I cannot do any tuning of application.
>
> > Actually they don't. But as you don't even understand the virtual
> > memory concept I won't waste my time in explaining this further.
> > Obviously it is not true you cannot due any tuning of application, at
> > least you can identify the problem areas, and address those with
> > vendor.
> > But as you prefer the DKB method of 'tuning' nothing is going to be
> > resolved and you will end up in hell, where you deserve to be.
>
> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker
> > Senior Oracle DBA
>
> You do not have any understanding of keep and recycle pools at all.
> Read Tom Kyte's web site or post a question there. Problem with you
> is you have no idea of reality, if vendor could fix the problem, it
> won't be an issue at all. In many compaines people get stuck with
> whatever vendor provides, yet same time management wants to improve
> performance, so all one can do from DBA's perspective is to figure how
> to add more memory, more CPU's etc. That is reality. Many years ago, I
> used to work in an environment where company's developemnt group will
> develop all the applications and you can ask them to tume the
> application without much problem, but that is not true in all the
> shops.
>
> Also, using WIDNOWS'S AWE one can go beyound 4GB. That was my original
> question which you have
> no undesratnding.- Hide quoted text -

No, it can't. Windows 32-bit can access 4 GB of physical memory and no more, period. Installing 8 GB of memory on a 32-bit windows machine is folly as only half of that allotment can be addressed. The /PAE switch engages a 'smoke and mirrors' approach to SIMULATE more memory, not provide actual physical addresses.

If you really want to access more than 4 GB of memory you need to ditch the 32-bit version of Windows and install the 64-bit release.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon Jul 02 2007 - 16:16:08 CDT