Re: command line vs grid control

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 09:47:41 -0700

On Jul 2, 11:42 am, emdproduct..._at_hotmail.com wrote:
> I am used to my old time shell/perl scripts to monitor my database,
> routine work, should I invest in oracle 10g grid control?
>
> Any commends will be appreciated

There's nothing wrong with custom scripts exactly. They will of course need periodic work and maintenance as database changes and release levels impact the usefulness and reliability of custom scripts.

Grid control requires additional licensing while custom scripts do not.

The alternative to grid control that is free but must be setup individually for each target database is database control This provides much of the GUI interface the grid control shows you.

At one point early in the 10x release cycle oracle seemed to be pushing the idea that everyone should migrate away from the command line and was aggressively steering toward the GUI. Some of that emphasis seems to have gone by the wayside recently.

To me at least anyone with a "reasonable number" of databases to monitor and administer ( whatever that means ) can probably quite nicely with custom scripts and/or the OEM database control.

At some point ( whatever that means ) other organizations might want to consider grid control but then again there's lots of third party software already out there. Received on Mon Jul 02 2007 - 11:47:41 CDT