Re: 2GB limit of memory for Oracle on WIndows 32 bit

From: <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 08:14:17 -0700

On Jun 27, 12:01 pm, BD <robert.d..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 27, 8:44 am, zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > I am on Windows 2000 server and usng Oracle 9.2.0.6. I know 32 bit
> > Oracle has limit of 2GB memory. I have 5 Oracle database instances, so
> > I see 5 oracle.exe in task manager. I am assuming each oracle.exe can
> > access up to 2GB memory, so up to 10GB memory can be used by Oracle on
> > the server.
>
> > Thanks a lot.
>
> No, not exactly. You have 2GB of memory for *all* of the Oracle
> requirements. It's gross.
>
> 3 ways of dealing with that limitation:
>
> 1: the /3GB switch in boot.ini: allows for 3GB to be made available to
> programs, with the kernel taking 1GB (could be repercussions there
> too)
>
> 2: the /PAE switch in boot.ini: allows for use of upper memory
> (anything above 4GB). Oracle needs to be configured to use this
> memory, and this memory can only be used for the buffer cache. Shared
> Pool, PGA, all the rest needs to sit in 'base' memory no matter what.
>
> The /3GB and /PAE switches can be used together, but if they are, you
> will never see more than 16GB on the box, even if there's 64GB of
> physical memory installed. Just the way it works.
>
> 3: Use 64-Bit windows.
>
> BD

>>2: the /PAE switch in boot.ini: allows for use of upper memory
>> (anything above 4GB). Oracle needs to be configured to use this
>> memory, and this memory can only be used for the buffer cache. Shared
>> Pool, PGA, all the rest needs to sit in 'base' memory no matter what.

Is there any thing wrong is using /PAE switch and setting some parameters in init.ora to put buffer pools in this address space.I want to have large buffer pool so I can "pin" some tables in memory using
recycle pool. In addition, increase size of my default buffer pool. I have 8GB memory on the server, some of it wll betaken kernel and other oracle parameters - PGA etc, bur rest I can use for buffer pools. Received on Sun Jul 01 2007 - 10:14:17 CDT