Re: Career questions: databases

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 07:47:00 -0700

Bob Badour wrote:

> hpuxrac wrote:

>>> Are you willing to stand up in front of an audience of 200+ developers
>>> and DBAs, averaging 7.5 years of experience, and field live questions
>>> on just one of those products: The Oracle 10g database?
>>>
>>> There are a small number of us that do. Any time you want to join us
>>> let me know and I will give you that opportunity. It will be really
>>> interesting to watch you back up your words with action, at a podium
>>> in a lecture hall, and with no prop other than a SQL*Plus command line.
>>> Pick any date between August 19 and December 19, 2007.
>>>
>>> In the learning curve of all skills and technologies there is a point
>>> where one begins and they know they know nothing. Then they gain a
>>> little knowledge and they think they know it all (sort of like being
>>> a teenager). Some dig deeper and learn how much they really don't know.
>>> Perhaps Bob you are one of those that never took that final step. I've
>>> never met you so I don't know. But I do know that the real experts
>>> never make the mistake you just made.
>>
>> Calling yourself an expert is not the approach I would recommend.
>>
>> Usually experts are recognized by other people not by themselves. I
>> am more than willing to call Tom Kyte or Cary Millsap or Jonathan
>> Lewis an expert.
>
> Apparently Morgan's mental retardation stems from an inability to
> comprehend written english.

Bob ... he mean't like this:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace2.html#morgan

Rather than like this:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#kyte
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#lewis
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace2.html#millsap

You see there's a difference. <g>

And I see you are unwilling to stand up in public and demonstrate your superior skills on even a single product. Thanks for proving my point. You can talk the talk but you can't walk the walk. As they say in Texas: All hat.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington