Re: Career questions: databases

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 16:05:04 -0700

Bob Badour wrote:

> He also said the above is a long list of technologies that nobody could
> learn. I suspect he is mentally retarded and doesn't realize it yet so
> he assumes everybody else is too.

Are you willing to stand up in front of an audience of 200+ developers and DBAs, averaging 7.5 years of experience, and field live questions on just one of those products: The Oracle 10g database?

There are a small number of us that do. Any time you want to join us let me know and I will give you that opportunity. It will be really interesting to watch you back up your words with action, at a podium in a lecture hall, and with no prop other than a SQL*Plus command line. Pick any date between August 19 and December 19, 2007.

In the learning curve of all skills and technologies there is a point where one begins and they know they know nothing. Then they gain a little knowledge and they think they know it all (sort of like being a teenager). Some dig deeper and learn how much they really don't know. Perhaps Bob you are one of those that never took that final step. I've never met you so I don't know. But I do know that the real experts never make the mistake you just made.

Your bluff and bluster have been called Bob. If you do it and can walk the walk I will personally reimburse your airplane ticket and hotel.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington