Re: sys as sysdba on root user

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 17:41:45 -0700

On Jun 28, 3:33 am, bitmus <d.bit..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> i've faced a problem that connecting sys as sysdba is always giving
> ORA-01031: insufficient privileges.
> the problem is only occured when using as sysdba on root user. if i
> connect using system/blabla, there is no error.
>
> also connecting sys as sysdba is ok for other system user such as
> oracle.
>
> i have added root user to dba group. that is not helped me.
> and i compared root user to other system user, and i did not found any
> other differences.
> Help me.
>
> Thanks.

You are getting it backwards. The 1031 error means Oracle hasn't granted you access, whoever you are or whereever you are coming from, not that you need more operating system privileges. If you try to do stuff as root you may wind up with wrong ownership of shared memory among other problems, not to mention the security implications.

You need to:

  1. State which version, platform, OS version.
  2. Check the docs about the passwd file.
  3. Look at the information on metalink about the 1031 error.
  4. Listen to all the other advice given.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=334