Re: 2GB limit of memory for Oracle on WIndows 32 bit

From: <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:04:19 -0700

On Jun 28, 2:15 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 01:42:07 -0700, zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> >When /3GB switch is turned on, will all oracle instances (5 in my
> >example) still have access only to 3GB memory combined or each
> >instance will have limit of 3GB memory. Various metalink articels say
> >this limit to be per instance so I am confused.
>
> They are discussing *virtual* memory, not *physical* memory. As soon
> as a system runs out of *physical* memory, it will swap memory it no
> longer needs to disk. When this memory is needed again it will be read
> from disk. This is called a page fault.
> A disk is a *slow* device.
> So, please, pray tell me, how desirable do you think it is to
> configure 3 Gb *per instance*?
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

If my server has 8GB physical meory, it will be nice to make use of 8GB instead of restricted only to 3GB. I have seen so many articles which talk about 3GB or 2GB per instance restriction, but now I am told that is not correct, 3GB or 2GB restriction is all instances combined, so it is confusing. Apparently there is some restriction related to how much shared memory one can allocate on Windows Server, otherwise each instance should be able to address 2GB or 3GB (with /3GB switch). Received on Thu Jun 28 2007 - 15:04:19 CDT