Re: 2GB limit of memory for Oracle on WIndows 32 bit

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 20:15:44 +0200

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 01:42:07 -0700, zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com wrote:

>When /3GB switch is turned on, will all oracle instances (5 in my
>example) still have access only to 3GB memory combined or each
>instance will have limit of 3GB memory. Various metalink articels say
>this limit to be per instance so I am confused.

They are discussing *virtual* memory, not *physical* memory. As soon as a system runs out of *physical* memory, it will swap memory it no longer needs to disk. When this memory is needed again it will be read from disk. This is called a page fault.
A disk is a *slow* device.
So, please, pray tell me, how desirable do you think it is to configure 3 Gb *per instance*?

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA