Re: Oracle 10g R2 RHEL 5 When?

From: Jack <jrscrns_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 06:45:33 -0700

On Jun 27, 6:51 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Jack wrote:
> > I have seen too many contractors
> > being canned when they were right because the client did not like
> > being told what to do.
>
> Sometimes being ethical and having standards requires you be willing to
> pay a price.
>
> I don't know what country you are in but I am now aware of more than a
> handful of DBAs in the United States who have been dragged into court,
> put under oath, and required to testify about such matters. The
> settlement in one case was well into the millions.
>
> Sometime the price of taking a shortcut is a very bumpy ride. In
> our profession the customer may own the checkbook but that doesn't
> make them always right.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington

The answer is that some people are rewarded for "do it cheap" and "cut corners to make it cheaper". The person involved in the decision making is rewarded for the money that he does not spend. Spend little as possible for hardware and software is his axiom plus offshore most of the developement work and some of admin work. Whether it gets the job done is irrelevant. He is always bragging to his superiors how he always spends less than his budget. He glares at me when he pays my bill. Recently, he made a horrible decision on the main database architecture (I am keeping hard copies of the emails in my PYA folder at home). His decision involved a quick fix to solve an immediate minor problem, but at the cost of making the database unless for any scalability. The business is growing at a fairly high rate and the main database is almost maxed out. After he is fired, his successor will have to spend an order of magnitude more money than it would have costed to do it right in the first place in order to fix the problem that he created with his bad decision. For this reason, I have not mentioned any details about the application or the company. Received on Thu Jun 28 2007 - 08:45:33 CDT