Re: How to make the SQL to run longer?

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 15:35:49 -0500

Raj wrote:
> On Jun 27, 11:45 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:

>> Raj wrote:
>>> Hell All,
>>> To reproduce one of our cusotmer's probem, I need to make the SQL to
>>> run for more than a minutes before it returns the result set. I do
>>> not
>>> have large amount of data in the database to simulate the dealy.
>>> Is there a way in SQL to cause the delay while returning the result
>>> set
>>> Thanks for the help.
>>> Regards
>>> Raj
>> You posted this exact same question in the SQL Server usenet group.
>>
>> No one should even spend one second trying to help you until you
>> come clean.
>>
>> Product?
>> Version?
>>
>> We are not here for your amusement.
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damor..._at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org

> Our is an reporting application that can connect to either SQL server
> or Oracle, retrieve the data and prsent the data over the web for the
> end users. This application has the option to preview the data while
> developing the report. Duing the preview, if the query takes more than
> one minute than our application hangs.
>
> Based on the above context, I posted in tht both the groups. Pardon my
> ignorance if this behaviour is still incorrect.
>
> Regards
> Raj

If you just need a query, any query, that will run for more than a minute so that your app can hang, then you can easily create one. Just do some cartesian product like the following:

SELECT a.object_id,b.object_name
FROM all_objects a, all_objects b;

If that does not run long enough, add another "all_objects" to the mix:

SELECT a.object_id,b.object_name
FROM all_objects a, all_objects b, all_objects c;

You can run this in SQL*Plus to verify the time it takes for the query execution (with SET TIMING ON). Then add the query to your reporting app.

By the way...this is the first time I've ever heard of someone asking to make things take longer!

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net