Re: clean up ocr?

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala.SPAM-ME_at_not-at-verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 18:19:41 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 07:39:30 +0000, herta wrote:

> On Jun 27, 5:30 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:

>> Mladen Gogala wrote:
>> > On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 14:49:33 +0000, herta wrote:
>>

>> That's not an explanation. I understand why you would want a DR site. I
>> understand why you might want a RAC cluster or Data Guard at a DR site.

> (...)
>>
>> > The manual says you can, but it doesn't explain why would you do
>> > something like that.
>>
>> Which is the point of my questions. The fact that I can hit my head on
>> a rock doesn't make me want to do it: At least not today.

> (...)
>
> Curious, you can understand people wanting a DR site, you can understand
> them wanting a RAC cluster "or" Data Guard at the DR site. But you
> cannot understand them wanting both a RAC cluster "and" Data Guard at
> the DR site? Sorry, but I don't think I can explain better than I did.
>
> The point of my question is not to discuss business cases which are
> perfectly clear to me.
> My reason for posting was to see if there is a way to clear out a single
> entry from an OCR.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Herta

Herta, the problem is that with a physical standby, machine(s) doing recovery are inactive, standing by. Thus the name. Machines are expensive. You have to pay licence fees, electricity, allocate space (in my case space is on the Times Square, New York City, which is not known for being cheap) and spare parts. Likelihood is that you're using some kind of SAN and RAID 1+0, so you must have a spare disk or two. My question is, simply put, why would you want to have 2 machines doing nothing together (RAC), instead of having one machine and then adding a spare, should the need arise. The other machine can, in the meantime, be used for development, file server or as a doom3/battlezone server.

--
http://www.mladen-gogala.com