Re: 2GB limit of memory for Oracle on WIndows 32 bit

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 09:10:32 -0700

On Jun 27, 10:44 am, zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> I am on Windows 2000 server and usng Oracle 9.2.0.6. I know 32 bit
> Oracle has limit of 2GB memory. I have 5 Oracle database instances, so
> I see 5 oracle.exe in task manager. I am assuming each oracle.exe can
> access up to 2GB memory, so up to 10GB memory can be used by Oracle on
> the server.
>
> Thanks a lot.

Is this a question?

Have you considered the memory limitations imposed by Windows 2000? Yes, you can use the /PAE switch to enable a virtual 64-bit addressing scheme but you are still left with a 2 GB limit for the kernel; adding more page tables to 'trick' the application into thinking there is more memory causes you to consume more of the limited 2 GB of memory the kernel processes are using. This may not be the wisest of ideas.

I would research this further before you decide on an implementation date; you could be setting yourself up for failure in a grand way with this scheme.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Wed Jun 27 2007 - 11:10:32 CDT