Re: Users vs. Schemas

From: HansF <fuzzy.greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 08:14:02 -0700

On Jun 27, 7:58 am, kilik3..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> I'm an oracle novice and I'm a little confused by Users vs. Schemas.
>
> I had thought that User == Schema.
>
> However, while using the schema browser feature in TOAD GUI I noticed
> that under the 'Schemas' node there is an entry for 'PUBLIC' for which
> there is no corresponding entry under the 'Users' node.
>
> Every other Schema/User has an entry in both.
>
> Why is PUBLIC different?
>
> Dose User == Schema OR does User != Schema?

Yes, there is a lot of confusion around this.

I look at it this way:

One resource that may be attached to an Oracle User is the schema namespace. In which case the schema namespace and the Oracle Userid have the same identifier.

Since it is so commonly required (and partly due to history), when an Oracle User is created the associated schema namespace is always created.

However, as you have seen, the schema does not necessarily imply user.

If you take this one large step further, you will find that PUBLIC is a special case ... it is neither a USER nor a ROLE, but rather a [url=http://www.petefinnigan.com/weblog/archives/00000060.htm]'USER GROUP'[/url].

/Hans

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!