Re: Oracle 10g - username and password, Scott/Tiger LOCKED

From: Brian Peasland <>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 09:18:55 -0500

ddog wrote:

> On Jun 27, 7:13 am, EdStevens <> wrote:

>>> Thanks for the replies! I tried sqlplus username=sysdba
>>> What is the password for sysdba? I tried the password that I entered
>>> during the initial installation and it doesn't work.
>>> Thanks again....
>> Well, the syntax is NOT "sqlplus username=sysdba". It is as previous
>> posters already said ... "sqlplus / as sysdba"
>> If you are logged on to the server with an account that is a member of
>> the dba group (I believe on windows it is "ora_dba") this will connect
>> you with all power.
> I know that's not the syntax. This is ridiculous. I think I'll have
> better luck with
> MS SQL Server. Of course Oracle doesn't have an uninstall
> program..........
> it's a miracle anyone uses it.
> Have Fun!

I'm sorry, but I do not understand your frustration. As others have sign on to the database, simply issue "sqlplus / as sysdba" in a DOS window. You will be connected to the database without requiring any password. You will have to be signed on to the server with an account who is a member of the ORA_DBA group. This is no different than using Windows authentication with MS SQL Server when signed on as one of the BUILTIN\Administrators.

Once you are signed on to the database, you can change any user's password with "ALTER USER username IDENTIFIED BY newpassword;". If the account is locked, you can unlock it with "ALTER USER username ACCOUNT UNLOCK;". My apologies if you cannot follow these directions....

Brian Peasland

Posted via a free Usenet account from