Re: Linux/Oracle Memory question

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 06:58:18 -0700

On Jun 27, 9:39 am, rog..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> I joined a company and I noticed Oracle 10g installed on linux server
> with 8 GB of ram.
> I can't seem to understand why all the memory is taken.
> When I run free all the memory is used up:
>
> total used free shared buffers
> cached
> Mem: 8164176 8145112 19064 0 70096
> 7633360
> -/+ buffers/cache: 441656 7722520
> Swap: 4194296 467292 3727004
>
> cat /proc/meminfo shows:
>
> MemTotal: 8164176 kB
> MemFree: 20344 kB
> Buffers: 93028 kB
> Cached: 7598528 kB
> SwapCached: 26308 kB
> Active: 1323876 kB
> Inactive: 6633240 kB
> HighTotal: 0 kB
> HighFree: 0 kB
> LowTotal: 8164176 kB
> LowFree: 20344 kB
> SwapTotal: 4194296 kB
> SwapFree: 3726992 kB
> Dirty: 2068 kB
> Writeback: 0 kB
> Mapped: 1297384 kB
> Slab: 110616 kB
> CommitLimit: 8276384 kB
> Committed_AS: 5536800 kB
> PageTables: 47016 kB
> VmallocTotal: 536870911 kB
> VmallocUsed: 265396 kB
> VmallocChunk: 536604667 kB
> HugePages_Total: 0
> HugePages_Free: 0
> Hugepagesize: 2048 kB
>
> any advise would be helpful.

Is an oracle instance running on the machine? I would guess it probably is running ...

When an oracle instance starts up it allocates memory from the os based on how it is configured.

Perhaps you should ask someone in your organization responsible for oracle on that machine what is going on. Received on Wed Jun 27 2007 - 08:58:18 CDT