Re: Regarding backing up and restoring FRA

From: <>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 06:31:30 -0700

Comments embedded.
On Jun 27, 3:07 am, Ganesh <> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am using 10g. I have configured FRA (Flash Recovery Area). I have
> following questions related to backup from FRA to Tape and restore
> from Tape to FRA.
> 1. Is there any way I can know which redo / archive log corresponds to
> which flashback log. For example given a timestamp / scn number is
> there any way I can find out corresponding Flashback log and Archive
> Log.

V$FLASHBACK_DATABASE_LOGFILE should contain the FRA log information; V $LOG_HISTORY will list the SCN history for each log sequence, V$LOG wil list the current sequence and V$LOGFILE lists the logfile name and group information.
You can likely write a suitable query to extract the information for which you ask.

> 2. Is there any way I can selectively backup flashback logs and
> archive logs from FRA to tape. For example I have found that in last
> 30 min the Flashback log has changed / certain file from my Tape
> backup is lost. So I want to backup only that particular file to tape
> and its corresponding archive log. I guess BACKUP RECOVERY AREA will
> backup the entire FRA.

I would tend to doubt it, as there may be dependencies on other logs for flashback operation so isolating a single log may cripple any efforts to recover an object.

> 3. During restore operation do I need to bring all the copies of the
> Flashback logs from Tape to FRA ? Is it ok if I just restore the
> Flashback log corresponding to the required SCN number / timestamp.
> Lets say I want to to restore till 1:00 am today and right now its
> 10:00 am and my FRA contains flashback logs till 6:00 am. So do I need
> to bring all the Flashback logs from 1:00 am to 10:00 am in FRA for
> the restore operation to succeed ?

I would expect so, however I don't speak from experience. See my response to your previous question.

> Thanks in advance.
> Ganesh Tambat

David Fitzjarrell Received on Wed Jun 27 2007 - 08:31:30 CDT

Original text of this message